The Seven Mountains Initiative Launches For The Second Consecutive Year

Amman - 12 February 2019 - The Seven Mountains Initiative has been launched for the second consecutive year, encouraging youth to participate in impactful humanitarian experiences. This year’s challenge will see 19 team members climb Tanzania’s Mount Meru to raise funds that will primarily support the treatment of underprivileged cancer patients at the King Hussein Cancer Center (KHCC).
The Seven Mountains Initiative was founded in 2018 by Mr. Louay Shomaly, principal of the International School of Choueifat – Amman. The initiative aims to climb seven mountains in a span of seven years in order to raise funds and help those who face their own mental and physical challenges every day. Last year, the team successfully summited Morocco’s Toubkal, and raised double the target amount.
Led by Jordanian mountaineer Mostafa Salameh, this year’s team is in the process of training for their next adventure: climbing Mount Meru in July. Through the initiative, the team hopes to raise 100,000 USD, 70% of which will be directed towards supporting underprivileged cancer patients at KHCC, with the remaining 30% to be directed towards a second Jordanian non-profit organization.
Mr. Louay Shomaly stated: “The notable success of last year’s initiative, raising 210,000 USD in support of underprivileged cancer patients, has encouraged us to continue this initiative, as we witnessed the students’ high spirits and desire to help others, in addition to believing in the potentials of Jordanian youth to create significant positive change.”
Mrs. Nisreen Qatamish, Director General of the King Hussein Cancer Foundation, thanked the founder and participants of the initiative, stating: “We are proud of our Seven Mountains Initiative heroes, who possess the spirit of benevolence and determination. Their tireless efforts in fundraising and climbing Mount Meru help us give our patients the support they need in order to overcome cancer, God willing”.
This year’s team, comprised of students 14 - 16 years of age, is listed below:

Aya Al Shurafa
Dina Najadat
Faris Shomaly
Fouad Shomaly
Jana Awamleh
Jude Al Faraj
Jude Banna
Khaled Nassar
Layana Qarqash
Mario Billeh
Maya Abu Ghosh
Mayar Hindawi
Mira Al Shurbaji
Noor Al Jewari
Omar Safi
Sara Al Samarrae
Tia Zabaneh
Yousef Ismail
Yousef Wahhab