At KHCC we take every measure to ensure that you are informed as much as possible about your cancer and your treatment options. However, we also encourage our patients to ask us questions in order to help them make the most informed decisions. You can start by asking your doctor the questions below:
Questions about your cancer:
- What type of cancer do I have?
- Is it slow, or fast-growing?
- How much has it spread? How advanced is it?
- Is it a rare or common disease? How much is known about it?
- Where can I get more information about my cancer?
Questions about diagnosis:
- At what stage would you classify my cancer?
- Should I get a second opinion? Who do you recommend I see for a second opinion?
- Are there any further tests that I need to take?
- Are there any specialized tests that will help in diagnosing my disease more accurately?
- How long do I have to wait before I know the results?
Questions about preparing for treatment:
- I'm a smoker, what should I do?
- I'm a diabetic, how should I prepare for treatment?
- Should I avoid the sun?
- Can I keep going to work during treatment? If not, how soon can I return after treatment?
- To what extent will treatment affect my daily life?
- What should I eat? Do I have to be on a special diet?
- How can I best contact you if I have a question?
- Is there a counselor that I or my children/spouse/parents can speak to help us cope?
Questions about treatment:
- What is the goal of my treatment (to alleviate symptoms, shrink a tumor, or remove it entirely)?
- What are my treatment options?
- Does my treatment require hospitalization?
- How long is my treatment expected to last? How many different procedures will it involve?
- How much experience do you have in treating this type of cancer?
- Who are the doctors that will be treating me? What are they specialized in?
- Can I bring family members with me?
- What support services are available?
- Are there any clinical trials available for my disease? Am I a good candidate?
Questions about side effects:
What are the side effects of my treatment?
Will my fertility be affected?
If my fertility would be affected, what are my options if I want to have children in the future?
Will some medicines affect my hearing?
Is there anything I should look out for that I would need to call you straight away?
Are the side-effects temporary or permanent?
What should I do in case of an emergency medical situation?