As a caregiver, it’s important to speak to the patient’s doctor to understand how to give optimum care when the doctor is not around, and look for any signs that indicate the patient might need immediate medical attention. Some questions you can ask the doctor are:
- Which medications can I give the patient for pain relief?
- When should I give a medication?
- How can I control the pain to make the patient as comfortable as possible?
- What side effects should I look out for?
- How can I identify negative results or ineffectiveness?