2011-2013 Nursing Department Strategic Plan
This page proposes an action plan to enhance the professional nursing practice at King Hussein Cancer Center (KHCC). It builds on an existing foundation and incorporates the directions of future health care at KHCC as a leading oncology center in the region and beyond. Nursing strategic plan generated from KHCC mission and core values. Although the major focus is on nursing care, it is clear that nursing as part of the larger multidisciplinary health care team will continue working in collaborative partnerships with all disciplines to ensure both KHCC and nursing strategic plans become life reality.
Integral to KHCC leadership role in building a culture of caring and discovery, nursing strategic plan is an infrastructure for professional nursing practice that promotes excellence in nursing practice, research and education. A strategic and integrated approach to nursing professional practice is key to ensuring the design and delivery of quality, safe health care and operational efficiencies.
This inaugural strategic plan includes an overview of the evolution of the vision, guiding principles, strategic directions, and ongoing accountability mechanisms for professional nursing practice at KHCC.
Strategic Direction 1: Enhancing Culture of Caring
- Create a culture of professional practice where KHCC is viewed as the best place to receive and provide nursing care.
- Design a culturally appropriate and holistic professional care delivery model (PCDM) and professional practice model (PPM) for nursing that emphasizes the full scope and alignment of nursing roles and promotes nursing excellence in a caring environment.
- Redesign the role of the nurse to emphasize professional functions, increased leadership responsibilities and advanced nursing competencies in alignment with the PCDM and PPM.
- Identify professional caring behaviors and reinforce them by continuous training
- Reward caring attitudes and behaviors as recognized by patients, peers, and colleagues
- Explore different tools to assess and measure caring among nursing staff on regular basis.
- Explore opportunities for improvements when applicable by reviewing patients' satisfaction survey results.
Strategic Direction 2: Cultivating a Culture of Innovation
Quality care and patients safety
- Enforce and sustain culture of safety and quality by continuous awareness and training.
- Establish clinical risk management system in nursing department.
- Establish nursing council for quality and patients safety with direct care nurses involvement.
- Continue monitoring of nursing sensitive quality indicators with trending, benchmarking on departmental and unit levels.
- Seeking opportunities for improvement as per result of benchmarked data of quality indicators.
- Maintain interdepartmental communication and collaboration to assure high quality patients care
- Establish peer review practice among nurses from all levels embracing innovative care practices.
- Support KHCC initiative while seeking accreditation from national and international agencies.
- Initiate action plans and/or quality projects when needed on unit, departmental, and interdepartmental levels
- Review nursing department quality indicators annually to accommodate continuous changes
- Demonstrate professional nursing services' contribution to continuous quality improvement and patient safety initiatives
Nursing research and evidence based practice
- Establish nursing council for research and evidence base practice ( EBP ) with direct care nurses participation
- Provide adequate support for evidence based registered unit nurses (EBRUNs) program by training and education.
- Development of evidence based practice projects unit and departmental level
- Initiate research projects in the department with direct care nurses participation
- Support nurses in presenting in national or international conferences
- Support nurses in publishing their work in research and evidence base practice
- Support collaboration with other institutions in nursing research and EBP.
- Development of nursing standard of practice (SOC) based on best evidence assuring periodic revision and update.
- Conducting nursing journal clubs with direct care nurses presenting their work in this field
- Appointment nurses representatives in IRB committee at KHCC.
Strategic Direction 3: Embedding Excellence and Professionalism
Recruitment and retention
- Recruit high caliber nurses who can enrich the culture of safety, excellence.
- Modify the current career ladder for nursing staff to include elements of professional practice and excellence.
- Monitor nurses turnover rate, analyze the data for nurses departure reasons seeking actions for improvement
- Establish nurses advocacy council with participation of direct care nurses
- Review exit interview results regularly and seek opportunities for improving work environment.
- Monitor nurses' satisfaction data and act accordingly
- Creating a healthy work culture by strengthening partnerships and shared decision making.
Nursing education and training
- Conduct nurses training needs assessment in different units
- Improve current nursing training to match the needs of the nurses while complying with KHCC capacity
- Evaluate the outcomes for nursing training programs.
- Start specialized oncology courses and establish system for continuous nursing education hours (CNE)
- Link training and development as key strategy for promotion using modified nurses career ladder
- Support and acknowledge Direct Care Nurses participation in teaching activities for other nurses and personnel
- Develop educational development plan for all nursing staff.
- Support nurses professional certification.
- Promote the commitment to life-long learning and professional development of all nursing staff, including but not limited to, undergraduate and graduate education, and technical training.
- Continue the journey toward nursing excellence ( magnet ® designation )
- Adopt the code of ethics for nurses and communicated explicitly to the nursing staff as per Jordanian Nursing Council.
- Identify the Bill of Rights for nurses.
- Develop PPM that support nurse's accountability, competence, autonomy.
- Empower nurses' participation in clinical decision making and organization of clinical care systems through shared governance councils and unit based councils.
- Support and encourage nurses' membership in professional organization.
- Enable direct care nurses using of empirical data for innovative practice.
- Establish peer review guidelines.
Community services and Image of nursing
- Plan and conduct community projects led by nurses
- Prepare and plan for media coverage for different nursing services
- Develop a nursing website that profiles nursing at KHCC and facilitates communication about advancements and innovations in nursing professional practice.
- Develop, in partnership with health professional colleagues, an interdisciplinary professional practice model including specific methodologies necessary to create a healthy work place and interdisciplinary integration at the point of care including structures, processes and tools to support interdisciplinary care which help in shaping nursing image.